Monday, June 17, 2013

Ironman 70.3 New Orleans 2014

I am officially registered for Ironman 70.3 New Orleans!

Dan (my fiance) put this idea in my head probably around February of this year.  He texted me and said, "It would be so cool to do the half-Ironman in Oceanside [California]."  Side note: Dan was in the Marine Corps and was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California.  I am from San Diego.  We met there.  Now we live in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

Back to the story. I Googled what he was talking about.  I looked at all of the races and immediately knew I had to do at least a half-Ironman. Let me be real here for a minute, when I ran my first half marathon, I knew I would be signing up for a full marathon when I got to Mile 12 - in other words, before I was even finished I knew I would be running a full 26.2 marathon - which I am. So I know that when I do my half-Iron I will be thinking, "when can I do a full Ironman?" 

Dan, of course, was supportive and on board with this adventure. Looking at the half-Ironman calendar, I had only a couple months to pick from. Being in law school, knowing I would be in my third year, graduating, and studying for the Bar Exam, and running the NYC Marathon in November, so the best months for me were: January, February, March, and April.  One of my life goals is to do a race (half-marathon or greater for running and/or Olympic triathlon or greater for triathlons) in every state.  New Orleans seemed perfect for me!  I knew the Camp Pendleton hills would be the death of me for my first half-Iron (and I have done a half-marathon in San Diego and doing the Disneyland Half in August). I have never been to New Orleans and honestly, what better way to see New Orleans than to see 70.3 miles of it?

I am seriously so excited.  I also joined a triathlon training group at the Y.  Training starts today.  The target race is a sprint tri in August. 

No comments:

Post a Comment